Two straight weekends with the Florida kids has been awesome. And exhausting.
It’s also completely crushed this month’s NaBloPoMo efforts. Ooops.
I’m not blaming the annual Northern Tour, mind you — but it has provided a convenient excuse on those days in the last two weeks when I’ve been struggling.
I’m still tired, and I’m still struggling. So: Bullet post. Yep. Sorry.
- I’m still allowed to talk about food, even though I’m no longer even pretending that I’m going to make up for the lost NaBloPoMo posts — right? Good, because we ate well this weekend. Not as in The Nutritionist Would Have Been Pleased kind of eating well, but as in a full-blown taco night with the kids. The newphews first taste of real White Castles. And Donatos. Twice.
- Today, I have no fear of a repremand from BBM over the Donatos mention. Because this time, we brought one back for her. In fact, she just left the parking lot with her smuggled pizza. And she looked pleased.
- And that’s probably all the pizza I need for a while.
- The kids were great this weekend and last — well behaved for the most part and fun to hang out with. But the best thing was being able to talk with them. Even the 3-year-old is engaging, although she can still be a little shy around Uncle Crappy.
- It wasn’t all philosophical discussions, though. I played freeze tag and hide-and-go-seek for the first time in years, and the boys and I held two vicious, cutthroat quarter-spinning tournaments. I want a rematch.
- Unrelated to anything from this weekend: Still no WoyGirl, as of this afternoon, at least. And still no winners in the WoyGirl Arrival Date Pool.
- Almost unrelated to anything else from this weekend: While we were poking around on Google Streetview to show my folks a couple of the houses we were looking at back here in the burgh, we took a look through Columbus, and I had the bright idea of seeing what the Ohio Stadium pix looked like. I was pleased to find that someone at Google had the good sense of shooting that area on a game day — it’s clearly early, but the parking lots are starting to fill, and the tailgate parties are starting to roll. And then it occurred to me — I wonder if you can see our spot from Cannon Drive?
- OK. See that red SUV in the center of the screen shot? That’s us, in the lot ridiculously early. And that’s a sign, boys and girls, that it’s just about time to start talking about college football. I’m going to wait until the beginning of August to really let loose, but I don’t think I’ll be giving anything away if I say Uncle Crappy might be a little bit excited about the upcoming season.