- I’m not sure if this is an old guy thing or not, but twice in the last two weeks — including last night, unfortunately — I’ve been absolutely unable to go to sleep. It might be that the brain won’t shut down; it might be that the cat is washing while he’s leaning on my leg; it might be a cough by Mrs. Crappy; or it might be that I’m just too hot or too cold. Whatever the reason, I keep looking at the clock, and it keeps getting later and later. Last night, I know the last time I looked before I fell asleep was 5:30. I had to be up at 9:30. This is no fun.
- Know what helped (besides two cans of Pepsi Max)? A bowl of Count Chocula for breakfast. Thankyouthankyouthankyou Target.
- On Friday night I met a bunch of the Pittsburgh crew at Las Velas for dinner on its opening night. I knew the company would be great, and I’m pleased to say the food was just as good. I had two of their excellent margaritas — which is probably one more than I actually needed — and a Burrito Cancun with luscious marinated pork. The house salsa might be the best I’ve ever tasted and the desserts we had at the table, one of which was a flambe with strawberries prepared at our table by the owner, David, were spectacular. Mine was a banana-caramel cheesecake thing wrapped in a tortilla, fried and drizzled with chocolate sauce. I don’t remember what either was called — did I mention the excellent margaritas? — but you can’t go wrong with either one.
- Also: The chairs at Las Velas? Veeerrrry comfortable.
- I watched two rugby matches on Saturday afternoon. The Angels — who might be ready move up to my second-favorite team to watch — got a big win for its A side, one that clinched a top seed in its upcoming league playoffs; its B side got a big win as well, one that included the first-ever try by Calipanthergrl.
- Saturday afternoon and evening were quiet — I took in as much college football as I could until it was time to head to the airport to pick up Mrs. Crappy. We had a great time back at the house talking about her trip, going through the stuff she brought home and drinking the bottle of Bigger Hop I had ready for her arrival.
- No. I didn’t burn the house down.
- The Buckeyes continue to improve. The Browns continue to suck. There you go.
Comments are closed.
Next time you can’t sleep, or that you wake up in the middle of the night, DO NOT look at the clock. Someone gave me that tip a few years ago and it really helps.