The impending Battle of the Crappyhouse Snuggies will be fun, but the real fun this time of year is the Sixth Annual Uncle Crappy NCAA Final Four Challenge (Brought To You By Bocktown).
The regulars know the drill by now, but if you’re a newcomer or you need a quick refresher, here are the instructions in handy list form:
- Find yourself a copy of the bracket. This shouldn’t be hard, but if you’re having trouble, we like Yahoo (find the printable version) even though they like picking on poor Jimmy Tressel.
- Pick the four teams — one from each region — you think will win their regional championship and travel to the Final Four in Houston.
- After consulting your bracket, pick the two teams you think will win the national semi-final games on April 3.
- Of those two semi-final winners, pick who you think will win the championship game on April 5.
- We’ve had some tight finishes in the past so I’m going to modify the scoring again this year. A correct Final Four pick gets two points. A correct semi-final pick gets four. A correct pick in the title game gets six. The entry with the highest point total at the end is our winner.
- One other change: So I don’t have to hunt you down later, please include your prediction for the final score of your championship game. If it’s necessary, the tiebreaker will go to the person with the combined score closest to the real thing.
Need an illustration? Here’s an example taken from this year’s bracket (NOTE: this is NOT my entry; I may be an idiot, but I’m not insane):
Long Island v. Northern Colorado
Boston U. v. Cal-Santa Barbara
Long Island v. Boston U.
I’ll need your picks and whatever smack talk you have to offer by noon Thursday, the approximate start time for the tournament. You may leave them as a comment, you may send me an email or a text and I’m open to telepathy as well. Entries will be posted here on Thursday afternoon for all to see.
Note No. 1: Juan will once again be entered against his will, using either the Phil’s Mom Method or, if Phil’s Mom isn’t picking this year, the Penny-Flipping Method.
Note No. 2: I would usually offer the standard disclaimer that the prizes for the Sixth Annual Uncle Crappy NCAA Final Four Challenge aren’t actually fabulous, but as was the case a year ago, Chris at Bocktown has screwed me up by offering a Bocktown gift card that will be awarded to this year’s winner (did y’all notice the parenthetical addition to the title?). That prize is especially meaningful to those who live in the Pittsburgh area or close to it; if an out-of-town person takes the prize and doesn’t have time to travel to Pittsburgh to redeem the card and buy me a beer, we will work out something else, like me sending you the cash equivalent and taking the card to buy myself an order of bacon and beer cheese fries the size of the pitcher’s mound in PNC Park.
- Deadline is noon Thursday.
- BOCKTOWN GIFT CARD TO THE WINNER.
If y’all have any questions, just let me know. Otherwise — let the fun begin.