Sure, my blogging has almost completely gone to hell, but that will never be an excuse for not holding the Eighth Annual Uncle Crappy NCAA Final Four Challenge (Brought to you by Bocktown).
Eight year should be enough time that most of you guys to know the AUCNFFC drill. But we seem to attract new people every year, so it’s worth taking a spin through the setup, in handy bullet-list form:
- Find yourself a copy of the bracket. If you can’t manage that, I should probably disqualify you from the EAUCNFFC (BTYBB) right now. But I’m feeling generous, so I’m happy to say you can find a nice PDF version, provided by the crack legal team at the NCAA. Print it and fill it out.
- After consulting your bracket, pick the four teams — one from each region — that you think will win the regional championships and travel to the Final Four in Atlanta.
- After consulting your bracket again, pick the two teams you think will win the national semi-final games on April 6.
- Consult your bracket once more, and pick the team from your semi-finalists who will win the title game April 8.
- How do I figure out who wins? You get two points for picking a correct Final Four team, four points for a correct semi-finalist and six points for a correct national championship pick. Assuming I can add correctly (and that can be quite an assumption, boys and girls), the entry with the highest point total is our winner.
- Yes, there is a tie-breaker and, yes, as we saw last year tiebreakers are important. When you submit your pick, please also include your project score for the championship game. If it’s necessary, the entry whose score is closest will be our winner.
Still confused? Given that
I’m writing this in a hurry I’m mostly copying and pasting from past AUCNFFC intros, that’s entirely possible. Here’s a purely hypothetical example of what an entry from this year’s bracket could look like (Note 1: this is NOT my entry. Note 2: These are the lowest seeds in the tournament; if you want to make this your entry, feel free, but do so knowing the risk of being Blutarskied):
Final Four: North Carolina A&T vs. Southern/James Madison vs. Western Kentucky
Championship game: Southern vs. James Madison
Champion: James Madison
Simple, right? As you begin to mull your picks, here are a couple of other things to keep in mind:
- One thing to make sure you don’t do: Send me money to enter. As has always been the case, AUCNFFC is free.
- In the first four years of the contest, we were competing for cheesy trinkets and I usually included a disclaimer that our FABULOUS PRIZES weren’t actually fabulous. And then Chris at Bocktown Beer and Grill blew that out of the water by putting up a gift card to the contest’s winner — as she’s doing again this year. All together, boys and girls: “Thank you, Chris!”
- The tournament’s first-round games get underway around 12:15 Eastern Thursday; I’m not a huge stickler, but I’ll need to have your entries by noon that day for you to be eligible (see the Melo Rule below).
- How do you enter? Comment. Email. Twitter. DM. Text. Facebook. Smoke signal. Please feel free adding whatever commentary you wish regarding how you arrived at your picks; each entry will be listed in a comprehensive post that’ll show up at some point early Thursday afternoon.
And finally, a couple of fine-printy things:
The Melo Rule: Should an unforeseen thing happen with a player, a coach or a booster that might, in your opinion, have an impact on your already-completed entry, fear not. You may tinker as much as you like until I close the entries at noon on the tournament’s opening day.
The Crappy Rule: I don’t think I’ve ever specified this, so let’s take care of it now. If I were to come out on top of my own contest (and believe me, boys and girls, there is very little chance of that happening), the Bocktown gift card would be awarded to the first runner up (although I retain full bragging rights, which I would exercise almost daily until next year’s contest). Mrs. Crappy, should she remember to get her entry in on time, is eligible to win the card (as long as she uses it to take me to dinner).
- Deadline is noon Thursday.
- Bocktown gift card for the winner.
Have any questions? Let me know. Otherwise, good luck to everyone — especially
me Mrs. Crappy.